MIAMIurbanlife.com

Who's your neighbor?

The Marlins will finally have their new retractable-roof stadium built on the site of the old Orange Bowl.

"One of the longest-running hopes for a baseball stadium in the history of the game has finally ended, successfully," Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria said. "And I'm very happy to hear it was an unanimous vote at the end."

Cost: $389.4 million for park construction, $525 million for project
Ground breaking: 2008 Opening Day: 2011

The team would be renamed the Miami Marlins before the facility opens its gates (which includes the roof the team insisted upon, because the threat of rain is a summertime constant in South Florida).

See the full article at:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/02/21/marlins.ba...

Views: 22

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok its great that we will have a ballpark for the Marlins right in our backyard. I don't like that they are going to name them the Miami Marlins. I don't think that is going to bring much other Floridan's to Miami. But other than that it's great news in way. It will case us tax money but in the end it will bring more money to Miami.

xoxo
This is good! The area around the Orange Bowl is being revitalized and it's filled with many latin residents. A lot of them follow baseball and will attend the games. They probably didn't go to many games in the pro player stadium since it was so damn far! lol

Changing the name to the Miami Marlins is also a good thing because the rest of the US will know that the team is actually out of Miami and not just anywhere in Florida. It gives Miami exposure as a world class city! Go Miami!
Agree, altough I'm not a baseball fan and couldn't care less the stadium will make the neigborhood look pretty and atract more biz in an area that needs some help. Agree more people will prob come cause of the Latin base that follows baseball in the neighboorhood that otherwise wouldn't want to drive to Dolphins Stadium.
Not happy about using tax dollars to help fund this but like I said in the end the more newer and landmark properties we get the more Miami get's on the map and the more it will attract the title of World Class city thus translating to more visitors. Hopefully the Marlins can becoem competitive agian and bring a World Series to the new park. That's when the project will be a godsend to those that went through the process to get it done.
Ths is really awesome! It's about time this deal gets down which has been lingering for the past couple of years. It makes it much better now, that decided to use the OB location site as opposed to Broward, etc.. the new stadium will also host future World Baseball Classic events along with a Major League All-Star game within the first 2-3 years of inauguration.

I heard there was some type of hold up over who will get to patrol the grounds... Heard any updates?

Here's the full article:
http://www.miamiherald.com/519/story/447283.html

I hope they get this figured out...
Yeah, they have 30 days to get this figured out or the deal dies... I would hate to see that happen.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome to Downtown Miami's First Online Social Network!

:: Find your Condo!
:: Search for Neighbors
:: My Condo is Not Listed
:: Introduce Yourself!

Looking to rent?
Find your condo now!

© 2024   Created by Alex (MUL).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service