MIAMIurbanlife.com

Who's your neighbor?

Is it true they they are going to build a Walmart next to the Performing Arts Center?

I have nothing against Walmart. But is it really necessary for it to be located close to the Performing Arts Center? Can they build something like Harrod's or a Neiman Marcus instead? Who's horrible idea was this? Is it approved already?
Below is the link of the article

http://cbs4.com/local/Adrienne.Arsht.Center.2.762107.html

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, it is correct. But I don't know when will they break ground. I guess it will be many years until we have a whole foods in downtown if they ever build Met 3. Ii am curious to know too.

george kottler said:
A question about Whole Foods: I thought that WFM was going to be located at ground level of Met 3-the very highest building of all at the Met project ..Is this correct ?

From what I saw yesterday from the metromover the designated site remains a staging ground for other Met projects and there has not been groundbreaking for the Met 3 building-
If this is correct then we will not see a Whole Foods for many years at this location-

and IF WF becomes impatient with a delayed opening would be cool for the area if they took some of the space that Walmart is eyeing across from the Arsht Center..

Mike P said:
What they really need to do is build a Publix right smack in the middle of Downtown! I heard there is going to be a Whole Foods Market and movie theater in the Met Complex. That will be awesome!
Last year the talk was that Wal-Mart was supposed to go in the Bayview Marketplace project, but people got all bent out of shape about that and they were declined as a tenant. I don't know how true this is or what the current status of Bayview is - that was the last I heard. The fact is that Downtown Miami is a HUGE untapped market for affordable everyday goods and I'm not surprised that a retailer as successful as Wal-Mart is doing everything possible to fill this void. Honestly, I highly doubt that "pickup truck drivers" who don't already live here will actually make the effort to drive INTO downtown. There are enough Wal-Marts around the periphery of the city that are easier to get to. I don't know what people are afraid of. I fully support all big-box retailers who can find space in and around downtown - let's make this place livable.

I am disappointed to hear about the Whole Foods delays... It's such a pain to go all the way down to Sunset Place.
Alicia, after much thought about this I have to agree that it probably wouldn't be such a bad thing. According to the renderings, it won't look like a typical Walmart. If it was there now, I'd definitely shop there.

Whole Foods would have been nice to have right about now. Not happy to hear about the delays either. I wonder if the movie theater was also part of this development phase? That would give Downtown more of a "Lincoln Road feel" at night. We need stuff like that in Downtown. To date, we've only been getting high-end restaurants.
Any updates on this? Are they finally going to put a Walmart next to the PAC?

Downtown Miami needs this... Who cares if it's not a Harrod's or a Neiman Marcus! lol
Not sure if the Walmart is still moving forward, but Whole Foods pulled out of the Met project:
http://www.miamiurbanlife.com/forum/topics/whole-foods-pulls-out-of...

Has anyone heard anything about the Walmart deal?

I'll see if I can find any news about it.
..."If they design the building to look like it belongs in the area and not make it look like a warehouse it shouldn't be that bad for the area. I know it's not a high end store like some want but not everyone wants to be limited to high end stores only..."...

I dont think we are complaining so much for the Wal-Mart moving in, but more for the the type of people coming in for the Wal-Mart and I think the truth is just that. Its bad enough we deal with the bums lining the streets of our city blocks - the last thing we need is for them and others like them to congregate near the Perfoming Arts Center. I frequent many places in and around the performing arts center area and also near where I live (One Miami) and its scarry sometimes... We need to move Camilus House finally and drive the unwanted out of Downtown for good. NYC was cleaned out for the most part and I feel that it can be accomplished here!

I'm not saying we need to make a Neimans or Nordstroms, although I personally would love that, but maybe a Whole Foods or Barnes & Noble? There has to be a better suiting brand for this area and they should X the Wal-Mart idea all together for the sake of our City and Neighbors!

Just how I feel...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome to Downtown Miami's First Online Social Network!

:: Find your Condo!
:: Search for Neighbors
:: My Condo is Not Listed
:: Introduce Yourself!

Looking to rent?
Find your condo now!

© 2024   Created by Alex (MUL).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service